Supporters from all across Kentucky will come together in the Capitol Rotunda to rally for LGBTQ rights and protest discriminatory bills Wednesday, February 19 at 1:30 p.m. ET.
State Representative Patti Minter (D-Bowling Green) is expected to announce a new piece of pro-LGBTQ legislation and two longtime leaders will be honored to celebrate the 20th anniversary of their filing the original Statewide Fairness Law in the 2000 Kentucky General Assembly–Representative Mary Lou Marzian (D-Louisville) and Lexington Judge Kathy Stein.
Speakers will address Statewide Fairness Laws Senate Bill 130 and House Bill 225, Conversion Therapy Bans Senate Bill 85 and House Bill 199, and anti-LGBTQ laws, Healthcare Refusal Senate Bill 90, Trans Athlete Ban Senate Bill 114, Trans Bathroom House Bill 132, and Trans Healthcare Ban House Bill 321.
Earlier in the day, volunteers will lobby legislators and deliver more than 10,000 post cards in support of LGBTQ rights to members of the Kentucky Senate and House.
Eighteen Kentucky municipalities have passed local Fairness Ordinances, which prohibit LGBTQ discrimination in employment, housing, and public accommodations. Combined, they cover just over a quarter of Kentucky’s population: Louisville (1999), Lexington (1999), Covington (2003), Vicco (2013), Frankfort (2013), Morehead (2013), Danville (2014), Midway (2015), Paducah (2018), Maysville (2018), Henderson (2019), Dayton (2019), Georgetown (2019), Versailles (2019), Bellevue (2019), Highland Heights (2019), Fort Thomas (2020), and Woodford County (2020).
WHAT: Statewide Fairness Rally
- Music by Carol Kraemer and Cynthia Fletcher
- Rev. Donzella Lee, Chair of the Franklin-Simpson Human Rights Commission
- Tuesday Meadows, Chair of Lexington Fairness
- Omar Salinas, Immigrant Rights Advocate, ACLU-KY Board Member
- Nadeem Fauver, Trans Youth Rights Advocate
- JCPS Board Member James Craig
- Troy Stevenson, The Trevor Project Advocacy Campaign Manager
- Zach Meiners, Conversion Therapy Survivor, Director/President of Chronicle Cinema
- Keturah Herron, ACLU-KY Juvenile Justice Field Organizer
- 20th Anniversary of Statewide Fairness Law Honor: Judge Kathy Stein & Rep. Mary Lou Marzian (D-Louisville)
- Senate Minority Leader Morgan McGarvey (D-Louisville)
- Senator Alice Forgy Kerr (R-Lexington)
- Rep. Patti Minter (D-Bowling Green)
- Rep. Attica Scott (D-Louisville)
- Rep. Lisa Willner (D-Louisville)